Skip to content



Thursday, February 14, 2019

Board Attendees:  Jim Braden, Hal Goodell, Miguel Martinez, Rob Moore and Howard Stapleton.  Naomi Grant and Chad Gottschalk were excused.

The meeting was called to order at 7:05 pm. 

Minutes from the January 10th Board Meeting, as posted to the website, were unanimously approved.

Public Comment:  None.

President’s Report:  None.

Treasurer’s Report: Hal Goodell presented the report.  There were no issues.

  • Checking                  Jan 1         $23,119.12            Jan 31 Cleared Balance  $23,312.52
  • Money Market        Jan 1           18,711.01            Jan 31 Cleared Balance    18,720.54
  • PayPal                      Jan 1                678.49            Jan 31 Balance                    1,400.54
  • Membership            Total 365 for 2018/19, several members have yet to renew.

Ray Kittelberger noted that the P&L and Balance Sheet have a discrepancy in the end balance for January.  Hal indicated that this was the result of the different dates that the documents were prepared for.  He will reprint a corrected balance sheet.

Unfinished Business:  None.

Committee Reports:

  • Social Activities –Miguel reported that he is very excited about the events planned for this year.  He has provided a printed event list, including established (annual) and some new events.  The event dates should not have any conflicts based on the FICRA and All Island Calendars.  Rob will check on the Yacht Club calendar.  Some of the new events proposed by Miguel are an Island Swap Meet (no money exchanged, but token like exchange), Father/Daughter dance, and Mother/Son dance to be held (members free, non-members small charge).  He intends to repeat the Summer Solstice Party on Jun 21st with local bands and add a Summer Picnic Series on Friday nights 5-7 pm all summer starting June 28th.  Sun June 30th will be an All Island High School Graduation Party for Fox Island graduating seniors.  Casper Baby Pants is available for Sept 8th, and Trunk or Treat will repeat, with the possible addition of a Hay ride.   Adult Prom Night is proposed for Nov 9th.  Miguel wants to improve the calendar to increase ease and convenience.  He would also like to schedule a new member “Wine & Cheese” social for the Sunday, or week after the FICRA Fair.
    15-16 persons have registered so far for the new Dance Lessons.  The invitation went out only to FICRA members, but Howard reports it will be available on the website next week.
  • Membership – 331 membership cards have been mailed out.  A reminder mailer went out to previous members that have not renewed back from 2014. Hal requests that a small reminder to renew FICRA membership be added to the Crime Watch flier in July.
  • Senior Activities – Ray reported there was a meeting on Feb 7th where Pierce County representatives discussed caseworkers and programs that are available, from food delivery to energy coverage.  Seniors may confidentially contact Pierce County; this is not part of FICRA.  Potential events/services might include library & shopping visits, and card games.  Transportation is of great interest.  Pierce Transit provides vans every quarter, but only to 501(c)(3) organizations with activities to justify the donation.  The recipient organization must provide a driver, training and maintenance for the vehicle.  It is suggested to approach school bus drivers or light duty fire department staff.

New Business:  Howard asked Jim to report on the work of the Nominating Committee. Miguel and Jim have spoken with Chad, and he is requesting to step down as FICRA secretary.  Miguel has offered to be a nominee for FICRA President.  Jim has spoken with individuals about other positions.  Naomi and Rob will continue for the 2nd half of their 2-year terms as directors. Jim spoke with Pia (& Brandon) Beetham about the Vice President position.  Hal is willing to server as Treasurer and Howard will serve as immediate Past President.  Howard asked if we wanted to look at expanding the Board to include more director positions (this would require a change to the bylaws).  He thinks this might provide more diverse representation for Island residents, including military service members, younger parents, older parents, seniors, etc. The Nominating Committee will continue to recruit more candidates.  The meeting next month is the General Membership Election Meeting.

The meeting adjourned at 8:30pm.  The General Membership Election Meeting is scheduled for March 14, 2019.

Respectfully submitted by Gina Olson for Secretary Chad Gottschalk.