Skip to content



July 13, 2017

Board Attendees: Howard Stapleton, Hal Goodell, Jim Braden, and Lesley Murphy and Denise Parrish were in attendance.

The meeting was called to order at 8:23pm by Howard Stapleton.  Mimi Miller and Denise Parrish were absent and excused.

Minutes from the June 8, 2017 Board Meeting were approved with no changes.

President’s Report:  Howard thanked all of the volunteers for their hard work and support.  Howard noted that it would expedite both Board Meetings if we could do a single consolidated meeting.  We could also address many of the basic questions concerning Board actions if materials were posted on the website ahead of time.  Based on a straw poll of members present, we will work towards a consolidated meeting for the next Board Meeting.

Treasurer’s Report: Hal Goodell for Mimi Miller

  • FICRA Checking May 1 balance- $37,263.43       May 31 balance- $36,826.10
  • FICRA Money Market May 1 balance- 18,639.87         May 31 balance- $18,642.17
  • FICRA Pay Pal May 1 balance- $745.48            May 31 balance- $168.71
  • Membership 313 for 2016-2017 + 82 renewed for 2017-2018

Committee Reports:

  • Finance Committee – No report.
  • Publicity Committee –
    • Howard reminded people to get info in to Lisa early for the newsletter.
    • A new poster has been created for the FICRA Fair.
  • Social Committee –
    • Still working on tentative plans for speaker on Search & Rescue, along with her dog (
    • Aging Smart Workshops- Lesley Murphy will follow up with Lisa
    • Still interested in Trick or Trunk activity for Halloween and looking for someone to lead.
    • Lesley would like to see exercise classes happen at the Nichols Center to benefit the health and wellness of the island. Lesley mentioned that Sara the Yoga instructor at the Chapel may be interested in moving her classes to the Nichols Center to provide more room for more participants. She will contact Sara.
    • Let Howard know if you have any other ideas.
  • Membership Committee – Hal Goodell reported that our intent is to get out a letter to previous members to remind them to join again. It should include an explanation of FICRA and what it provides for the community.

Unfinished Business:

  • Logos and Letterheads – Options include using a simple color graphic and building a design around the NCC photo/image. Recommended approach is to use a stylized photo or sketch of the NCC in color or grayscale.  This concept should be given to the Art Group to see if they can provide assistance.

New Business:

  • There was discussion around teen activities at the boat ramp. This property is managed by the Bureau of Land Management.
  • Howard and Jim will work towards consolidating the FICRA and Building Trust Board Meetings.

The meeting was adjourned at 9:14pm.  The next meeting will be on August 10th  (this has now been revised to September 14th).

Respectfully submitted by Denise Parrish.