Trust Board Meeting Minutes 11-11-2021

FICRA Building Trust Board Meeting Minutes DRAFT
Thursday, November 11, 2021 
Nichols Community Center, Fox Island, Washington 

2021-2022 FICRA Trust Board
Howard StapletonPresident
Arlyn LawrenceVice President
Gina OlsonSecretary
Hal GoodellTreasurer
Craig McLaughlinDirector

Board Attendees: Howard Stapleton, President; Hal Goodell, Treasurer; Gina Olson, Secretary; Craig McLaughlin, Director. Excused: Arlyn Lawrence, Vice-President

Additional Attendees: Jim Braden, Project Manager; Joan Broughton, Audit Committee; Wes King, FICRA Board; Madeline Hunter, French Toast Ballet & Theater Company

The meeting on Veteran’s Day was called to order at 7:05pm.

Public Comments:

Madeline Hunter, French Toast Ballet & Theater Company, and Tots on their Toes, has a proposal to rent/lease space NCC space. (7:10-7:45 pm)

Minutes from the October 14, 2021 Trust Board Meeting as posted to the website were unanimously approved.

Treasurer’s Report: Hal Goodell

Trust Checking account: Oct 1 Balance: $31,092.47, Oct 31 Balance: $26,985.55

Trust Savings: Oct 1 Balance: $524.48, Oct 31 Balance $524.50

Trust PayPal: Oct 1 Balance: $2,231.81, Oct 31 Balance $2,323.49

Trust Capital Checking: Oct 1 Balance: $3,651.22, Oct 31 Balance: $3651.22

Trust Reserve Checking: Oct 1 Balance: $319.98, Oct 31 Balance: $319.98

Trust Money Market: Oct 1 Balance: $329,036.07, Oct 31 Balance: $307,104.13

$22,000 moved from capital to trust checking as deposit for new windows as planned.  Abby S. donated $2200 to building/maintenance account to replace 2 toilets. Men’s coffee has returned to meeting on Wed. They have a donated amount in which they will designate to their own project.

FICRA Report: Wes King

Wes reports FICRA has planned some very fun things, including a 5K event “Santa Run” starting at the NCC on December 12th at 9am.  The course is from NCC to Chapel and back to NCC.  The event includes a kids Jingle Dash around the field path.  They may also include a game of Kickball, Tea/Coffee truck and FICRA booth.  There will be booths for sponsors.  12 business have donated $150 to support the event.  A professional company has been hired to supply race bibs and timers issued to participants, with 300 participants max. A permit has been requested from Pierce County without road closures. The permit application has passed initial phases, is still pending final sign off, to which we don’t anticipate any problems.  They will need to provide 20 safety flaggers.  The Sheriff’s Dept will be contacted if needed.  A “Fox” mascot will hopefully attend. Participants will get an event T-shirt.

Other Upcoming Events: Christmas Tree lighting Dec 5, and a Cupcake Decorating Event in November.  The October Trunk or Treat was successful, including 9 stations on Fox Island, maps were provided by the Fox Island Alliance Church.

Standing Committee Reports: Project Manager, Jim Braden, provides a written summary to the Boards ahead of the meetings to minimize time in meetings for the subjects he is responsible for: Building and Grounds, Nature Center, Citizens’ Patrol, Emergency Preparedness, and Fox Island Amateur Radio Club (FIARC).

Nature Center – The removal of the dangerous trees on the Nature Center boundary was completed as the Board approved.  The vandalism in front of the NCC has been repaired by the responsible party.  The fires in the woods issue is still open, but Jim recommends putting that to bed also.  The word is apparently out among the youth on this issue.

Finance Committee – The Finance Committee will be responsible for making recommendation for rates.

Citizens’ Patrol – There was a car break-in on Sunday, November 7th at the Fishing Pier parking lot.  PenMet has been notified and they are reviewing their camera data.  The Sheriff’s Department was also advised.  Otherwise very quiet.  Still working on properly describing the Citizens’ Patrol and what they do to allow our insurance underwriters to include them at a reasonable cost.  Action:  Hal, Howard, and Jim are working with our insurance broker to mitigate this issue.

Emergency Preparedness – EP has been testing their first alert system (Signal and WhatsApp) as a complement to our radio system.  EP newsletter being written.  We are working to verify the Cascadia Rising II event being planned for June of 2022, however, Pierce County DEM is still buried with COVID responsibilities and is not yet responsive to inquiries.

Building and Grounds – Phase II of the Windows project was awarded to Chosen Wood Windows & down payment made.  Jim to work with Candy on scheduling installation (Two months or more away).  Wes and Jim are developing some preliminary information on paving the parking lot.  A contractor, Pacific Landscaping, is trying to fit in getting the potholes filled in for now.  The Capital Expenditures report has active & proposed (mostly capital) projects with priorities indicated.  New signs are being considered for the whole complex.  Refer to the July 8th, 2021 email on this.  Action: The Board should decide whether we want to hold the signs up for a logo (suggest we do not – we can add them later) and Jim suggests that the discussion concerning combining FICRA and the Trust, also a long-term issue, also not hold up the signing effort.

Fox Island Amateur Radio Club (FIARC) – Continuing to build licensed radio operator participation. Working to increase island coverage for our Emergency Response radio system.  The repeater is in service and is being used on the Sunday nets.  A little more work is needed for that system to be considered 100% ready for Emergency Response use. Hal reports Sunday meetings continue at 7 pm with 15-20 participants.

Unfinished Business:

NCC Usage and Rates – Craig McLaughlin reports it has been a slow process. He has put together ideas, sent emails, and not getting feedback. Howard would like to see the treasurer and the finance committee calculate the cost of usage each year to further help reveal cost involved, so that the board may more accurately determine rates for use. Jim has already calculated capital expenditures each year. However, so that the rental coordinator can respond to pending rental requests, with cost and availability, it is proposed that the board set temporary rental rates now.

A Motion was made by Craig to set temporarily rental rates at $15/hr for each small class room and $30/hr for auditorium for non-profit groups, and rates for for-profit organizations to be $32/hr for each small class room and $50/hr for the auditorium. Use of the building is non-exclusive. All rentals are to be granted on a month‑to‑month basis. The Motion was seconded by Howard, and unanimously approved.

Jim is working on updating the Welcome Packet for new residents on FI.  Jim will continue to contact Representative about Pet Met Park issue.  Jim continues to work with Wes in creating signs for the NCC.

New Business:

Routine cleaning & Maintenance of the NCC.  This discussion will be postponed to the next meeting. Howard will be looking for a person or group to contract cleaning for the building.

The meeting adjourned at 9:32 pm. The next meeting is currently scheduled for December 9, 2021.

Respectfully submitted by Gina Olson, Secretary.